Wednesday, November 3, 2010

8W1D Sidi Bou Said – Home to Rich Europeans and Picturesque White Cubical Houses and Studded Blue Doors

Sidi Bou Said is as stylish and fashionable as they come. A famous and favorite retreat for rich Tunisians, Europeans and large tour groups, this small town by the ocean looks like a scene set for movies. I only spent an hour or so here, but I can see how one would get lost wandering through the labyrinth of white washed walls and studded blue doors.


It has become a tourist/European retreat destination that I’d be interested to see how the character of the city has changed because of this. It seems that all the homes have been repainted recently and electricity sources modernized. The streets and walkways seem to have been repaved – but I wonder how often maintenance is done and where the funding comes from.

I will be meeting some students this week who attend the National School of Architecture located here. There was an interesting study done by a professor and his students of Sidi Bou Said a while back that I’d like to get my hands on. Hope to post some better pictures of Sidi Bou Said when I return. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment