Friday, September 10, 2010

0WD3 Stimulating the Taste Buds

Part of the territory that comes from exploring a culture are the culinary delights (or sometimes quite the opposite) that come with it. I was going to create a whole other blog for food - but I figure it would be much more easier and efficient to just deal with one blog. So here it is, my first taste of Egyptian food:

Foshari

Every culture seems to partake in this global phenomenon that we call “the noodle.” It comes in various forms all over the world. Think Egyptian chili. But completely vegan. It contains a mixture of fried onions, chopped noodles, chopped spaghetti, rice, lentils chunks, and tomatoes. Then you pour on top a mixture of tomato, chili and garlic sauces. Very tasty. Even Anthony Bourdain loves it (for those of you that have seen that episode of when he was in Cairo)! Though I haven't tasted the stuffed Pigeon...yet. But I will. I’ve already tried dog so what’s another animal to add to the list... :)


During the night, I went to explore the city with some friends, which is especially challenging during Eid (end of Ramadan celebration) because of the massive amounts of cars and people. We walked by the Nile river with many people trying to sell us Felucca rides all the way to El Tahrir square and to another square whose name surpasses my memory right now but contained European style architecture.

I came home to finish up some sketches and before I could finish the sketches, I promptly passed out from over stimulation of all senses. And also to get up early to go see the only existing original Seven Wonders of the World - The Pyramids of Giza. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment