Thursday, September 9, 2010

0W2D Coptic Cairo

Only day two…. Today was a relaxing day, sketching with the artist (whose place I am staying at) and architect (a Polish girl who has a knack for picking up languages). Then I realized how litte about languages American as a whole knows…

Before I go further I must say how amazed I am with this girl for her language skills. Beata spent 3 months in Egypt a few years ago and came back this time for a longer stay. She has been here for 3 days and she is already fluent enough to have a conversation with people to a point where she is able to make jokes and where the locals understand here. We were sketching in Coptic Cairo (Christian part) today and there was a synagogue we wanted to see that was closing in 1 minute. She managed to sweetly talk to the guard to let us run in to see it quickly…

So much for my language classes – seeing that was motivation enough for me to start practicing with the people I’ve met here.

Christianity was the predominant religion before the arrival of Islam. Now only 10 percent are Christian. They are called Copts (native Egyptian Christians). How ironic is it that right in Egypt, in Cairo holds some manuscripts that the Vatican wants to get a hold of – but the Vatican cannot set foot here. It is quite interesting to hear the sound of the call to prayer while I am walking through these Orthodox churches. Apparently there are only about 100 Orthodox Jews left in Egypt.

Today is Eid which marks the end of fasting for Muslims. Everyone stays up all night until the Eid prayer in the morning, when people are encouraged to perform the prayers in open. After the prayers, the Muslims visit family and friends or hold big celebrations. Tomorrow I will go to my host’s mother’s house in New Cairo for the day.



My friend Ehab, who happens to be an architect, took me and a new friend Florence (who goes to American University in Cairo) to eat Foshary (see food blog) and to walk around the Nile River and to Tahrir Square, a main focal point for Cairo. The Egyptian Museum along with American University is around this area. I got to see the hustle and bustle and numerous amounts of people roaming the streets. I also got to really experience crossing the street.


It was like dancing...but you cannot read your partner so well…stop, go, slow, fast, run..oh wait, okay, now RUN. Also, I find it amusing that the pedestrian light has an animated green man running for the go signal...


PS Internet is quite slow here so I will load pictures when I can...:)


No comments:

Post a Comment