Saturday, October 9, 2010

4W4D Welcome to Suburbia

Heliopolis (Masr al-Gadida), which translates to “New Cairo” is a northern suburb of Cairo that reminds me of any other mediocre apartment building/single home suburb found in the US. It is quite a change from the dirty cityscape, crowded streets, and satellite infested rooftops found in Cairo center, with its large almost picturesque boulevards, landscaped gardens and Art Deco villas.

New Cairo was created in response to Cairo’s population growth and to the exponential growth of the foreign community. It was created by a Belgian entrepreneur, Baron Edouard Empain, who also created the Paris Metro. Today, it is occupied by wealthy Egyptians and foreigners alike.

We visited my host’s mother in New Cairo and had a very delicious dinner which then sent me into a food coma. A girl from Toronto (Courtney, I thought of you!) who is traveling around the world for two years learning about farming and Beata, the polish girl who also came back to Cairo around the same time as me after traveling around Egypt was also at the dinner. It was another relaxing day and great to get away from the city for awhile, but I always feel more invigorated upon return. I feel more energetic when I am in the center of the action… I really do enjoy cities. Now I just need to find a city that has a balance of both.


a Cairo street during Ramadan 6pm

the same Cairo street after Ramadan/Eid 2pm

Just found some pictures I took when I got here - the streets of Cairo are constantly busy and I rarely see it not during the day. But after the Eid celebration, where people stay up all night to celebrate the ending of Ramadan, the day after is very quiet and silence- instead of horns pierce the air. I have not seen the streets of Cairo this quiet since then.

1 comment: